Tomorrow I'm going to be 23 years old - and that is a fucking scary thought. I dunno about you guys, but when I was a kid, 23 seemed to be such an old, big age. At that age I thought you'd be a proper adult with a house and career. Hell, at age 23 my mother was married. Times have changed, I suppose, and I'm not looking to rush my life. I'm not exactly happy that I still haven't figured out a career, and if I had the option of having my dream house and a kitten with Jack, then I'd take it, but that's hardly on the cards for now. I'm fine with living at home, I'm happy that I can save up for things I want - holidays and tattoos in particular. I do not deem myself an adult at all however - I'm still figuring it out, and I still don't have things like my mental health in order. I also still have my mum make my doctors appointments which probably says a lot, haha.
That said, I've learned a lot in my time, and I'm constantly evolving and changing. Today I thought I'd share 23 things I've learned in my 23 years, and hope that it comes in as handy advice for some of you too.
- I'm not defined by my weight.
- Or what boy is on my arm.
- Everyone is entitled to live their life how they want.
- It's OK to need help, and equally OK to admit it.
- Why fight for somebody if it's not mutual? All it does is break my heart and ruin my mental health.
- It's OK to lean on someone from time to time.
- I am different for who I am, how I approach things, and how I treat people - not by what I like or dislike.
- Some people were born with unblemished skin and it may feel unnatural. I am one of those people, and tattoos make me more me.
- Happiness is a moment. It is not a constant, solid emotion.
- We are all flawed by human nature, but our pros outweigh our cons.
- I am capable of much more than I give myself credit for.
- I do not deserve to know or interact with toxic people, and I am better than that.
- Sometimes I can't change things. They are how they are, and that's how it is.
- My body is normal, not weird.
- Life is about balance [this one is a lesson in progress].
- There's more to life than shiny new lipsticks and a social media following, but they are lovely anyway. Just don't get carried away!
- My relationship brings me happiness, but it is not the only thing that can make me happy.
- Instinct is often right.
- It's OK to know I'm in the wrong place and it's OK to not know where I'm going or what I'm doing. I'll work it out when the time is right. [still accepting this one!]
- Counsellors are alright.
- Compromise sucks, but sometimes it's necessary.
- Advice is useful but it's important that I do what's right for me.
- Good things happen when you're not looking.
These are some pretty honest lessons I learned, and none of them were particularly easy to learn, either. I can say with confidence that I find each of these to be true, though!
Do you agree with any of these? What important lessons have you learned in your lifetime?